Tips to Help You Relax Before A Visit To Our Office
Are you a nervous patient when you visit the dentist? Do you avoid scheduling an appointment or delay needed treatment out of fear? If you experience these feelings, you are not alone. There is a large percentage of dental patients that experience some form of nervousness that ranges from minor nerves to extreme fear. We believe in helping all patients and will help address each patient’s needs and assist everyone to be comfortable when they visit our office.
Ways to Help Minor Nervous Feelings
Do you get butterflies in your stomach before you visit our office? There are a number of remedies that you can try before you head to our office to help you relax. We suggest scheduling your appointment at a time of day that is the most relaxing. We would not recommend scheduling your appointment after a long day of work. We also recommend:
- Limiting sugar and caffeine on the day of your appointment
- Listen to calming and relaxing music on the drive to the office
- Practice calming breathing techniques
- Bring headphones to listen to your favorite music or audiobook during your appointment
What If You Are Still Fearful?
If simple home remedies aren’t enough to help calm your nerves we also offer sedation dentistry. We review your health history and have a consultation to determine your needs. We offer both nitrous oxide and oral sedation.
- Nitrous Oxide – This is administered in the form of a gas, also known as laughing gas, and wears off quickly upon completion. Patients can safely drive themselves to and from their appointment.
- Oral Sedation – This is a moderate level of sedation that is administered before arrival to the office. Patients remain awake during treatment, but in an extremely relaxed state. Patients are not allowed to drive when under this form of sedation.
Don’t hesitate to call our office located in Denton, MD to discuss your fears or the fact that you are nervous. We have other patients who have the same feelings as you so please don’t feel like you are alone. We can discuss your upcoming treatment to help put you at ease. We look forward to hearing from you soon and helping you get the dental treatment you need and deserve.