The Advantages of Implants
While there are a variety of dental treatment options for replacing a missing tooth or multiple missing teeth, dental implants are a long-lasting solution. They offer the strongest support for replacement teeth and function and look just like your natural teeth.
How Dental Implants Work
A dental implant is a titanium screw that is positioned into the jawbone and bonds with the natural bone. An abutment, or connector, is placed on the implant, which holds a crown in place. The crown is custom made to match your natural teeth.
Along with looking and feeling like natural teeth, here are some other advantages of implants:
- They are a permanent solution. You don’t have to put them in and take them out of your mouth like dentures.
- You don’t have to worry about them shifting or slipping. When this occurs with dentures, it can cause you to slur or mumble your words.
- You can enjoy your favorite foods without the worry of sliding dentures.
- They are easy to clean, just like your natural teeth, with daily brushing and flossing.
- Implants are durable and can last a lifetime with proper dental care.
Unlike dental bridges, another alternative to replacing missing teeth, implants don’t require the support of teeth adjacent to the missing tooth. With a dental bridge treatment, adjacent teeth need to be ground down to support the bridge, causing otherwise healthy teeth to be altered.
It’s also important to consider that dental implants can benefit your long-term oral health as well. Teeth gaps can cause adjacent teeth to shift out of position, which can affect not only the appearance of your teeth but the function of your bite, as well.
Ready to transform your smile and dental health? Please call our office to schedule a consultation to discuss how dental implants can benefit you.