REASONS TO SMILE
At Smiles by Holsinger & Higgins, smiling is our business. Nothing makes us happier than seeing a patient leave our office with a giant grin. You may think it’s all about the teeth for us, but honestly, we also love smiling for another reason altogether — it’s good for you! Don’t believe us? Just wait till you learn about all the ways that smiling can improve your life.
- Smiling Can Reduce Stress and Improve Moods — Each time you smile, your body releases neuropeptides and neurotransmitters (like dopamine and serotonin) that essentially trick your body into feeling more calm. Some research has even found that smiling can actually lower your blood pressure. The next time you’re stressed or in a grumpy mood, try smiling and see if you feel better. Even a fake smile might do the trick.
- Smiling Can Boost Your Immune System — The same neuropeptides and transmitters that help reduce stress levels and improve your mood can also help the human immune system to function more effectively. In addition to the other precautions you take to boost your immune system, try smiling; you just might escape the next cold and flu season unscathed.
- Smiling Can Help With Pain Management — Studies have shown that smiling releases endorphins, natural painkillers, and serotonin. These natural chemicals work together to elevate your mood, relax your body, and actually reduce physical pain. Maybe “grin and bear it” isn’t such bad advice, after all!
- Smiling Is Contagious — When someone smiles at you, it’s almost impossible to NOT return their smile! When you smile at someone, you make them feel good — even if only for a moment — and they will likely smile back, enjoying the many health benefits smiling offers.
- Smiling Makes You Look Younger — You can test this out in the mirror right now! Look at yourself with a frown or even neutral expression and notice where your cheeks, chin, eyes, and jaw rest. Now smile! It’s an instant facelift! Smiling can literally make you look years younger.
See — there are plenty of reasons to be crazy about smiling! If your pearly whites need some TLC and you live in or near our Denton, Maryland, practice, contact our office to schedule an appointment. We promise to give you something to smile about.