Do You Or A Loved One Snore?
While we may be spending more time at home these days, those who suffer from sleep apnea can take advantage of this time to practice habits and activities that boost the effect of sleep apnea treatments and improve their overall health. If you or a family member suffers from loud snoring, constant waking during the night while gasping for air, and daytime fatigue, certain lifestyle changes can help boost sleep apnea treatment success. Read on to find out more.
The following guidelines, when combined with sleep apnea treatment, can have a positive impact on your symptoms:
- Maintain a healthy weight and decrease obesity, one of the conditions linked to sleep apnea.
- Avoid alcohol, since this decreases and slows your breathing during sleep.
- Don’t smoke. Cigarette smoke swells the upper airway, worsening your breathing and snoring.
- Practice relaxing activities like meditation and yoga, which focus on improving your breathing.
- Change your sleep position. When you sleep on your back, the way your body weight falls on the airway makes sleep apnea worse. Try to sleep on your side.
As you may know, sleep apnea can disrupt your resting time and put you at risk for other serious diseases that diminish your quality of life. Thankfully, there are treatments and habits that you can implement to control this issue. Be consistent with your therapy — maintain your routines, keep a healthy diet, exercise regularly, and try to relax whenever possible to positively influence your sleep patterns.
Please let us know if you have any questions about sleep apnea symptoms you may be experiencing, or what lifestyle changes you can implement to decrease them. Please call our office or send us an email and we will get back to you promptly. Until we see you again, stay safe!